|яωѕ»
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder

Go down 
+4
drome
djtima
Black Thunder
Dave_of_Defeat
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2007-04-12

SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder Empty
PostSubject: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyFri Apr 13, 2007 2:50 am

Hi guys,

I've had a quick browse so I apologise if I've missed a thread or post about this information, but I just wanted to get a quick idea about what cheat protection is being used for this competition, and whether or not SourceTV will be broadcasting any league games.

Further, will STEAM IDs be set to avoid players using ring-ins?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

Male Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2006-09-07

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyFri Apr 13, 2007 5:21 am

All matches will be recorded via SourceTV.

Rates and all that stuff will be set. If you know of some scripts that will help prevent cheating then please link them Razz.

I am going to get peoples Steam ID's via the games, if the steam id's arent consistant then there will be trouble Razz
Back to top Go down
djtima

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-04-11

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyFri Apr 13, 2007 11:22 am

if you guys need help setting up SourceTv and the like...
come find me on mIRC in #team.wu or #ausdod.com in gamesurge.
i'd be more than happy to lend a hand.
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyFri Apr 13, 2007 11:49 am

Thanks for the offer but SourceTV is working, I even gave out the SourceTV IP in the newsletter.

Are there any cheat protection mods that I should be using?
Back to top Go down
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyFri Apr 13, 2007 3:48 pm

I would recommend screenshot protection via Octinium or Novacap, with mandatory submission from all players each week to a specified email address.

Octinium and Novacap work by taking a screenshot of a player's game every 15 seconds or so. The screenshot takes in a small vertical bar of their screen (not the whole screen), which must include the centred net_graph, which is set to '3' in-game.

This will detect any wallhackers. Picking up aimbotters is harder, and requires careful review of a demo, either SourceTV or personal.

I would suggest having a read over the GA rules for any further ideas or clarification on cheat protection, as I believe it to be an important issue for an online tournament that is offering prizes. Homeboyjoe is the GameOp in charge of the GA competitions, so he would be the best person to seek out with any queries.

Myself and Tima were OSL admins, and I have experience admining the OGN competitions from Day of Defeat 1.3, so we will both be happy to help out with any rule amendments re: cheat protection.
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptySat Apr 14, 2007 12:47 am

I had a look at the cheat protections on the Gamearena rules section.

I downloaded some of them but not to sure if they are all up to date.

If you have a link to where these (some of) can be downloaded I would appreciate that.

HBJ seems to be a very hard person to contact.
Back to top Go down
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptySat Apr 14, 2007 1:12 am

If you hop on IRC, he's usually available in #ausdod I believe.

Which cheat protections did you examine and download?
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptySat Apr 14, 2007 4:51 am

NovaCap
Back to top Go down
djtima

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2007-04-11

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptySat Apr 14, 2007 5:18 am

i'd hate to correct you dave but.
#ausdod.com
Back to top Go down
drome

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2007-04-14

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptySat Apr 14, 2007 5:59 pm

sourceTV is the best theres a script out that the admin just types record (name) and it auto recs novacap sucks it makes ur fps go down that = crap gaming
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptySun Apr 15, 2007 12:32 am

using rcon I can record stuff.

I would prefer to use another server side plugin but I dont know of any.

But until then I will get everyone to download NovaCap.
Back to top Go down
TH3_GR33N_M4N

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2007-03-21

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 3:06 am

can we use octinium too ? novacap is shit in my eyes.

Didnt OSL go down the gurgler ? dave of defeat ? Razz
Back to top Go down
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 3:11 am

OSL played out one season, after which interest in the game as a whole fluctuated.

A tournament designed in OSL's style (i.e. requiring regular games on a strictly weekly schedule) is dependent on wide-scale clan activity.

At the time that OSL 1 finished, there were only about five teams who were even remotely active. There were a lot of forfeits in the first season again for this reason; it was deemed redundant at that point to have such a competition running concurrently to GA.

However, AusDoD's activity seems to be improving now, and the RWS Ladder has introduced a handful of new clans to the competitive scene. Depending on how well this RWS Ladder tournament runs, OSL might make a comeback. Alternatively, RWS could perhaps merge with OSL such that we could pool our resources. At present, there's only one competition server for RWS.

But first things first, let's see how this season goes.
Back to top Go down
TH3_GR33N_M4N

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 3:31 am

i beleive the problem with OSL was the lack of organisation and communication between admins and clans ! most of the time we had to hunt down the password from an admin cos no1 had told us . We forfeited a game we won due to bullshit and the replay was set on a date when none of us were available(when we shouldnt have even had to do the replay) with fuk all notice given to us ,Ie. saturday night ? dont ppl have a life? isnt there normally a week notice roughly that is given for a game?. I heard that timmah thought we haxed which is funny cos if we did, we would have been kicked out of the ladder and any other.

Also in the "open" league we made it to the finals and the grand final we were waiting AGAIN for an admin to give us the password so we could play, no 1 showed no 1 told us that it wasnt on ! i dnt think even the other clan had the password and therefore a ladder that we worked fairly hard to get to the top of wasa ruined and was left at nothing and it was never finished.

I completely opose merging this potentially good laddder with a complete FLOP of a ladder.

I put my full support on the rws ladder
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 4:17 am

Thanks Green Man Smile

With a successful season under my belt next time this will be done much better. I will write the website myself (along with some help from a good friend) and there will be more sponsors. In order to get another server and more prizes/sponsors I need backup from a previous tournament to be able to convince them that the tournament wont fall to pieces. I will also have a much better knowledge of the inside workings of a tournament.

I also have all the contact details of clans so that makes it much easier.

As for NovaCap, I shall ponder on it Razz
Back to top Go down
TH3_GR33N_M4N

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 4:25 am

octinium is quite handy ! and is used in GA aswell Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 7:36 am

I'd contend the notion that you were forced to play a Saturday night game, considering that Sunday - Thursday were the only days that games were allowed to be scheduled as per the rules.

I also believe you'll find that the password is automated through the OSL IRC channel.

OSL most certainly was not a flop; it was the continuation of the highly-successful OGN 1.3 competition which ran for several seasons (at one stage managing four divisions) and only ended due to lack of community interest in the game, at which time the GA 1.3 League had also died.

The OSL-i competition ran through an entire regular and finals season, even having weekly preview articles and shoutcasting if I remember correctly. I don't remember what happened in OSL-o.

At any rate, every competition will have problems - if you think RWS will be any different, just wait. The must unexpected situations have a habit of cropping up in even the most well-prepared leagues and if you look at OSL's rule lists, formats and protocol, you'll see that few were better prepared.

What makes a great league is the ability to deal with contingencies, and the admins of this tournament have my confidence in that regard. However, people like myself, grim and Tima have had a lot more experience at organising tournaments and we are prepared to offer our assistance if it is needed.
Back to top Go down
TH3_GR33N_M4N

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 7:47 am

whether it was in the rules or not , we were asked to play on a saturday and because we werent avaiable and that was apretty much the last we heard of the OSL ladder, also you have to see that most of the dudes that u named there , from what i see and hear are not very much loved in the ausdod community. Which is another reason why some clans would have lost interest also, i understsand that new things take time and shit does happen. U also gotta realise that most fukwits from the ausdod community that always have something to cry about and complain about are not here. So bring on a happy league , with good competetive fun . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 9:37 am

Wooot I say Razz
Back to top Go down
TH3_GR33N_M4N

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 11:22 am

if u need some help with some things black thunder ill help out Very Happy just add me to ur msn or talk to me i already have u , Rezza_OTK@hotmail.com
Back to top Go down
NeHmisis

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2006-12-02

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyMon Apr 16, 2007 3:16 pm

LOL
After speaking with my friend the accounts manager @ OSL, he told me they didn't run a dod source comp, they provided the servers at a discount to the admin & organizer of the OSL comp! aka [I know everything about dod] ........Tima
The comp flopped as per what greenman said & YES Dave he was jumping on the success of the OGN 1.3 comp that did run well,except for the end.
And on this note RWS guys just do your best, don't listen to the randoms that may put your orginization or your running of this comp down. Good luck & look forward to the finals.
Back to top Go down
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyTue Apr 17, 2007 2:39 am

No one ever said that OSL ran the comp. We ran the comp with their servers.

And for the last time, OSL didn't flop. There was one complete season after which interest in DoD:Source in the country was so low that there was no point having a second season.
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyTue Apr 17, 2007 5:51 am

I dont think this is the best place to argue about another tournaments success.
Back to top Go down
Dave_of_Defeat

Dave_of_Defeat

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyTue Apr 17, 2007 8:41 am

Well, considering that RWS is following somewhat in OSL's footsteps (albeit not by intentional design), it does seem pertinent.

I feel that the RWS Ladder has a great opportunity to be a smashing success; it is fresh, innovative and run by admins who are prepared to listen. I don't think that there should be any stigma attached to individuals keen to help simply on the basis of their association with OSL. The only way for this tournament to grow and evolve is for input from the playing community, and particularly relevant is the experience of past and present tournament administrators to assist in the smooth running.

Myself and Tima have offered our help, advice and suggestions in a manner simply designed to aid in places that might cause grief later on (such as cheat protection, maps and CoF mod) - we are not trying to take RWS over nor tell the admins how to do their jobs; we simply want what everyone else wants - an enjoyable and exciting tournament.

The idea that grim and Tima are unpopular in Ausdod is totally preposterous, and even if it were the case, it would not affect their ability to plan and run a tournament. I suggest you do your research a little more carefully, Green Man.
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder EmptyTue Apr 17, 2007 10:01 am

I just didnt want to argue the reseans why another tournament may have or may not have been a success on this forum. It almost sounds like an issue that could be dealt with by another means.

I do appreciate all the help and input people have provided I just feel that this type of discussion should be elsewhere as it really isnt focused on improving my tournament.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder   SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder Empty

Back to top Go down

SourceTV and cheat protection in the RWS Ladder
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next