|яωѕ»
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

Male Number of posts : 594
Registration date : 2006-09-07

Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues Empty
PostSubject: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyWed Jan 17, 2007 2:33 pm

The directory in which Steam related files are located can be different to mine, I have a partitioned hard drive. Meaning that I have two drives D:\ and C:\. So check where your Steam is installed before looking for the file.

Bad textures

In-game you may encounter purple textures on the environment, or your weapon is really shiny like someone just buffed the hell out of it and more.

This means that the file that look safter this texture has 'broken'. I have found that there are two ways to fix this, either exiting Steam and then getting back into it, or verifying cache files.

Verifying cache files: to do this you go into to Steam and go to the 'My Games' tab, then right click the game that is having the problems and click 'properties'. Now open the 'local files' and click 'Verify integrety of game cache...'

Just let it do what it has to do then you should be right to go.

If it is still appearing, exit Steam and load it again. It should be right then.

All round fixes

People have many problems with Steam, the most common fix for these problems is the clientregistry.blob file. It becomes corrupt very easily. It is located here; D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam.

Once deleted exit Steam and load it again, it will redownload the file again and you should be right.

Interface problems

If you are having problems with your user interface (the thing you use to look at your Media files or the My Games list or the Store) delete the file SteamUI.dll located in D:\Program Files\Valve\Steam.

"I ran Steam and nothing is appearing, what do I do?"

Since Steam is not apprearing there is only one place you can stop it, by press ctrl+alt+delete. Clicking on the "Processes" tab, click on the Steam area and click 'end process'. Click 'ok' to the next message that appears. For future reference dont end a process unless you are entirely sure what it does, as it make reck another program running.

Now delete the clientregistry.blob file and run Steam, if the same thing is happenning leave it to load, adventually it will. For me this problem has never persisted. There is also another file called 'Steam.dll' that could be deleted if neccessary, this is also located in the same directory as the files above.

Note: The effects of deleting the files will only take effect once you have re-run Steam, so as to allow for re-download.

"None of this stuff has fixed my problem, what should I do?"

Search for the problem here: http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/home.php, and if you cant find the solution contact Steam Support. They take approximately 3-5 business days to respond.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this stuff helps Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyWed Jan 17, 2007 2:34 pm

I will add more later Razz
Back to top Go down
FrantiC
"Some Random"

Male Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2006-12-15

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyWed Jan 17, 2007 6:57 pm

Hmm. I have a problem you may know how to fix.
If I open steam in Offline mode, I can't play CSS. I can open it up and start a game, But it loads up then as soon as its finished loading it quits to desktop with "HL2.exe has encounted an error" send error report to microsoft Rolling Eyes
Doesn't do it with HL2 though, But it does with DOD:S aswell. I can't even join a game through LAN.
Works fine when its online though.. Iv reinstalled steam 5000000 times and it's still being a gay fuck. scratch
Back to top Go down
Horace
"King of sarcasm"
Horace

Male Number of posts : 836
Registration date : 2006-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyWed Jan 17, 2007 9:33 pm

Steam ftw!
Thanks jake Wink
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

Male Number of posts : 776

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyWed Jan 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Crack ya steam
Back to top Go down
https://rws-dod.editboard.com/
Black Thunder
Admin
Black Thunder

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyThu Jan 18, 2007 1:04 am

FrantiC wrote:
Hmm. I have a problem you may know how to fix.
If I open steam in Offline mode, I can't play CSS. I can open it up and start a game, But it loads up then as soon as its finished loading it quits to desktop with "HL2.exe has encounted an error" send error report to microsoft Rolling Eyes
Doesn't do it with HL2 though, But it does with DOD:S aswell. I can't even join a game through LAN.
Works fine when its online though.. Iv reinstalled steam 5000000 times and it's still being a gay fuck. scratch

Try deleting any of those files? I dont think reinstalling steam will fix it, it seems to be a CS:S and DoD:S problem.
Back to top Go down
shellshock

shellshock

Male Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2007-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyThu Jan 25, 2007 11:24 am

Thunder Ftw
Back to top Go down
Admin

Admin

Male Number of posts : 776

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyThu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 am

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://rws-dod.editboard.com/
Horace
"King of sarcasm"
Horace

Male Number of posts : 836
Registration date : 2006-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues EmptyThu Jan 25, 2007 11:49 am

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues   Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues Empty

Back to top Go down

Basic guide to fixing Steam client related issues
Page 1 of 1